Monday 20 July 2020
After four months and eleven days since the previous race, the 2020 Moto2 World Championship finally restarted with the Spanish Grand Prix at the Circuit of Jerez – Angel Nieto.
In ambient temperatures of 33 degrees and track temperatures of 42 degrees and rising, conditions were extremely challenging with both Team Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS riders having to manage their tyres over 23 laps.
Sam Lowes shows plenty of fighting spirit to finish fourth in extremely challenging track conditions.
Race day started well for the Englishman, who posted the fastest time in morning warm-up at the end of an impressive 11-lap run.
Sam started well from third place on the grid, his first front row start in the Moto2 class since August, 2019. But the Lincolnshire rider initially struggled to match the leaders’ pace with a full tank of fuel and dropped from 5th to 7th.
On lap five Lowes started matching the rhythm of the podium contenders and had caught and passed Aron Canet for fourth on lap eleven.
Then he attempted to reduce the 2.3 second deficit to Jorge Martin in third. Sam pushed until the end, closing to within 0.6 seconds of the Spaniard but eventually settled for an excellent fourth.
“I’m happy with the way I’ve approached the weekend”
“I’m quite happy with this fourth place. It’s a good position and good points but as a racer you want more, you want the podium. Today the conditions were very difficult. It was the first race in a long time, it was really hot and the pace was quite slow for everyone. I learnt a lot in the race about my bike, about my opponents. That was positive. I’m happy with the way I’ve approached the weekend and the way I’ve come back this year. It’s my first race for the team, a solid P4 and we can go again next weekend. Overall it’s positive and hopefully we can aim for the podium next week.”
“After a difficult winter It’s a really good result for Sam and the team. Sam has been really strong all weekend and he showed this by finishing fourth in the race. We’re so happy about that. It was his first race of the year. After a difficult winter with his injury it’s a really good result for him and the team. For Augusto it was a difficult weekend. But in the race today he improved and we’re now looking forward to the next grand prix. It’s positive that we start again in a few days in the same place with a positive feeling. For sure next week Augusto can be fighting for the best positions.” – Joan Olivé Team manager
- 22.11.2020 - Lowes signs off from 2020 with unbelievable podium finish
- 15.11.2020 - Heroic Lowes in the points in Valencian GP
- 08.11.2020 - Unfortunate end for Lowes in European GP
- 25.10.2020 - Lowes triumphant in Teruel for third straight victory
- 18.10.2020 - Jubilant Lowes claims second win in seven days in Aragon!
- 11.10.2020 - Lowes flies to famous French win in Le Mans
- 02.10.2020 - “I’m calmer and faster than ever before”
- 28.09.2020 - Second place for Lowes after brilliant Barcelona battle
- 21.09.2020 - All-action Lowes grabs brilliant podium in 10-lap shootout!
- 24.08.2020 - Undeserved ending for Team Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS