Sunday 3 April 2016
The Team Federal Oil Gresini Moto2 and Sam Lowes took their first podium finish of the season in today’s Grand Prix of Argentina at the Termas de Rio Hondo circuit, crossing the finish line in second position.
Started from pole position, Lowes rode a determined race: the 25-year-old British rider took the lead on the third lap and set the pace for 10 laps, before Frenchman Johann Zarco passed him. Sam continued to follow closely the reigning World Champion, then a slight mistake with 5 laps to go didn’t prevent him to get back quickly in second place with a nice pass on Franco Morbidelli, but the ground lost no longer allowed him to launch the final attack to Zarco for the win.
Thanks to the 20 points obtained in Argentina, Lowes is now third overall in the Championship, only 7 points behind Thomas Luthi, the winner in Qatar, and 2 points behind Johann Zarco.
“The conditions were not easy today, but I had a good pace so I was expecting to do a strong race today. I was in the lead for several laps and it’s definitely a nice feeling, then with 5 laps to go I made a small mistake that made me lose contact with Zarco and therefore I didn’t had the opportunity to attack him in the final laps. After the mistake however I was fast and I managed to quickly pass Morbidelli in front of me, so I’m satisfied. I’m happy with this start to the season: I had the pace to win also in Qatar and the Championship, despite the Jump Start at Losail, is already looking quite good, because I’m only 7 points off the lead. We are working hard and the team is doing a great job, the bike has been good on all the tracks I’ve been riding this year and also this morning and I felt really good in the wet. The goal this year is to fight for the title, even if we know that it won’t be easy to beat reigning champion Zarco, but we’ll try. It’s going to be a good season”.
- 22.11.2020 - Lowes signs off from 2020 with unbelievable podium finish
- 15.11.2020 - Heroic Lowes in the points in Valencian GP
- 08.11.2020 - Unfortunate end for Lowes in European GP
- 25.10.2020 - Lowes triumphant in Teruel for third straight victory
- 18.10.2020 - Jubilant Lowes claims second win in seven days in Aragon!
- 11.10.2020 - Lowes flies to famous French win in Le Mans
- 02.10.2020 - “I’m calmer and faster than ever before”
- 28.09.2020 - Second place for Lowes after brilliant Barcelona battle
- 21.09.2020 - All-action Lowes grabs brilliant podium in 10-lap shootout!
- 24.08.2020 - Undeserved ending for Team Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS