Sunday 20 March 2016
A ride through penalty for jump start stopped Sam Lowes and Team Federal Oil Gresini Moto2’s fight for victory in this evening’s Grand Prix of Qatar, first round of the 2016 Moto2 World Championship.
Starting from the front row with the second time, Lowes was given a ride through penalty following a jump start together with five other riders, including rivals Alex Rins and Johann Zarco, while Franco Morbidelli and Sandro Cortese, for the same infringement, were added 20” on the final time of the race.
Back on track after the penalty, Lowes resulted the fastest rider on the track, setting the fastest lap of the race, 1’59”421, on the final lap, proving that he could fight for win. Crossed the finish line in 23th place on lap 3, the 25-year-old British rider still recovered to ninth place, which gives him important points for the Championship.
“I’m a bit upset but the rules are the rules, so I accept the penalty. The important thing is that I rode good. Folger was pushing hard at the beginning of the race but he crashed, I knew that I had the best pace today. I finished the race 20 seconds off the win, that is quite good considering the penalty. For the championship is not a big problem, our strongest rivals didn’t get good results too, and the first race is always a strange one. I’m happy, I rode good and next race will be good!”.
- 22.11.2020 - Lowes signs off from 2020 with unbelievable podium finish
- 15.11.2020 - Heroic Lowes in the points in Valencian GP
- 08.11.2020 - Unfortunate end for Lowes in European GP
- 25.10.2020 - Lowes triumphant in Teruel for third straight victory
- 18.10.2020 - Jubilant Lowes claims second win in seven days in Aragon!
- 11.10.2020 - Lowes flies to famous French win in Le Mans
- 02.10.2020 - “I’m calmer and faster than ever before”
- 28.09.2020 - Second place for Lowes after brilliant Barcelona battle
- 21.09.2020 - All-action Lowes grabs brilliant podium in 10-lap shootout!
- 24.08.2020 - Undeserved ending for Team Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS