Monday 24 August 2020
Early crashes for both Augusto Fernández and Sam Lowes mean neither rider scores points at the Styrian Grand Prix.
A crash on Saturday morning saw the Lincolnshire rider hit the right shoulder he injured when testing in February. Despite suffering pain in the Red Bull Ring’s heavy braking areas, Lowes gritted his teeth in morning warm-up to set the second fastest time.
The 29-year old was unable to produce a good start and lost eight positions on the first lap before quickly recovering to 14th.
However, Lowes comeback was halted on the third lap when he crashed when braking for turn three, taking Somkiat Chantra and Jorge Navarro down. The Englishman admitted his mistake and personally apologised to both riders after the race.
Having remounted, Lowes then crashed for a second time at turn four. The result drops him from fourth to sixth in the championship, 28 points behind championship leader Luca Marini.
“It was a terrible race. I made a mistake”
“It was a terrible race. I made a mistake. I have to say sorry to the other riders that I hit. It’s a shame to finish the three weeks like this because we’ve been quite strong. Sorry to the riders and I’m sorry to the team for the mistake. Now I have two weeks to recover and be ready for Misano.”
- 22.11.2020 - Lowes signs off from 2020 with unbelievable podium finish
- 15.11.2020 - Heroic Lowes in the points in Valencian GP
- 08.11.2020 - Unfortunate end for Lowes in European GP
- 25.10.2020 - Lowes triumphant in Teruel for third straight victory
- 18.10.2020 - Jubilant Lowes claims second win in seven days in Aragon!
- 11.10.2020 - Lowes flies to famous French win in Le Mans
- 02.10.2020 - “I’m calmer and faster than ever before”
- 28.09.2020 - Second place for Lowes after brilliant Barcelona battle
- 21.09.2020 - All-action Lowes grabs brilliant podium in 10-lap shootout!
- 24.08.2020 - Undeserved ending for Team Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS