Tuesday 6 June 2017
Despite a 19th place finish, Sam enjoyed a positive race at Aprilia’s home circuit in Mugello. The Brit showed great promise with improved lap times, which were just 1 second away from the fastest lap, as he continued to gain experience and develop his MotoGP™ race craft. A strong start from the grid on the #22 Aprilia Racing machine saw Sam pass several riders and make in-roads on catching the group in front to fight for a strong points position during the early part of the race. However, a faltering feeling with the front end meant he was unable to maintain his early pace.
“I expected a better race today, because in the first 6 laps I felt very much at ease. I was able to overtake several riders, lapping at good times straight away, even dropping below 1’49. At a certain point I began to lose the good feeling with the front end and so I struggled to maintain a good pace; it was a situation that affected me for the rest of the race. But I want to focus on the various positive sides that came out this weekend. I am happy to have finished the race and have achieved a lap time that was actually only one second off the best. I am learning a lot in every race and we are moving in the right direction.”
Sam and MotoGP™ head to Barcelona next for the Catalunya GP this weekend. It’s a track where Sam has recently completed testing with the Aprilia Racing team, so he is positive about the opportunities that presents.
- 18.03.2018 - The dark days are over…
- 12.03.2018 - Back on top!
- 01.03.2018 - Feeling ready to get #onit
- 13.02.2018 - Pre-season testing
- 16.10.2017 - Training, Titles and Life in 2018
- 08.06.2017 - Experience MotoGP™ at Silverstone with fellow SL22 fans
- 06.06.2017 - More laps and learnings in Mugello
- 22.05.2017 - Positive race for Sam Lowes who earns his first championship points
- 08.05.2017 - Sam Lowes gains experience on his RS-GP
- 24.04.2017 - The RS-GP confirms its potential even on a difficult weekend